We're so excited you've chosen TickTalk and we can't wait for you to start connecting. So let's get you set up!
Step 1: Activate Your GSM SIM Card
TickTalk 4 works with GSM carriers worldwide. The most popular GSM carriers in Canada are Bell, Rogers, Telus, and Fido. We recommend Fido as the most affordable option starting at $25 per month for unlimited talk and text with 1GB of data. Please make sure your plan has VoLTE-enabled calling to ensure you can make voice calls outside of Wi-Fi.
What type of plan does TickTalk require?
Please make sure your monthly plan is a regular cell phone plan with talk, text, and data. Wearable, digits, tracking, or tablet plans are not compatible with TickTalk. You may need to contact your carrier, switch to the correct plan, and then reboot the watch. You can also contact our Support Team for troubleshooting assistance.
Koodo - VoLTE Calling
Some Canadian customers using Koodo as their carrier have experienced issues with their VoLTE calling. Please see below FAQ from Koodo:
How do I use VoLTE?
Making and receiving VoLTE calls is simple. All you'll need is to:
- Use a VoLTE-compatible phone (most devices sold by Koodo after 2018 are VoLTE-capable)
- Be on a Postpaid account (currently VoLTE is not available on Prepaid accounts)
- Be in a VoLTE-enabled coverage area. See our full coverage list here
Most Koodo customers with phones that are VoLTE-enabled will be able to use VoLTE automatically, as long as their phones are up-to-date with the latest software and they’re in VoLTE-capable coverage areas. All calls will be carried over to the Koodo LTE network.
Where is VoLTE available?
VoLTE services are currently available nationally, except for the province of Saskatchewan. VoLTE E911 is available in all VoLTE-enabled areas. In areas where VoLTE E911 is not available, customers are still able to make standard 911 calls.
Step 2: Make Sure Your TickTalk OFF & Insert Your Activated SIM Card
Once you have turned OFF your TickTalk 4, use the included SIM lid opener to open the back lid, insert your activated SIM card, and completely close the SIM lid to avoid any water exposure.
Step 3: Setup Your Carrier APN
Your APN should automatically populate if you are using one of the major GSM carriers in Canada such as Rogers, Telus, Bell, and Fido. However, if you've purchased a SIM from a smaller GSM carrier or MVNO or you are not connected to data (which you'll be able to see if you can view the carrier name but the internet oval icon is grey), you may need to manually update the APN by going into your TickTalk watch Settings > Edit APN and select the correct APN.
If you do not see your carrier's APN, you'll need to manually enter to setup. Before setting up your APN, you will need to get the specific code from your local carrier. In your TickTalk watch, select Settings > Edit APN > + and enter the code from your carrier. You will not need to input APN Type, please leave at Default. After the code is entered, save by selecting the floppy disk in the upper right hand corner. Reboot the watch by holding the silver button and selecting Reboot. Once the watch turns back on, you should see a 3G or 4G symbol next to the signal bars to indicate your data is working.
Step 4: Connect To Your Cellular Network
After charging your TickTalk 4 with the included charging cord or Power Base, press and hold the silver button for 3 seconds to turn your TickTalk 4 ON. Swipe the screen up to go to the Status Center to show your carrier’s name, signal bars, and a connection symbol. The connection symbol will illuminate white once your TickTalk 4 connects to your network. If the connection symbol does not illuminate or says, “No Service,” please confirm your SIM is activated.
- No SIM error message? Read our quick fix steps here.
Step 5: Setup Your TickTalk Parent Account
Download our parental control TickTalk App by visiting the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and searching for TickTalk.
After you've downloaded the TickTalk App, you’ll need to sign up for an account and select your method for future sign-ins. If you select to receive the verification code via text, you will sign into the app with your phone number moving forward and vice versa if you receive the code via email.
Step 6: Pair To Your TickTalk & Setup Your Child's Account
Go to the watch Settings > Pair where you will see your watch TTID number along with a QR code. Using your phone, open the TickTalk App, select the contact icon in the upper left hand corner > Add Another TickTalk > and follow the instructions to complete the pairing process.
To enter your child's information, select the avatar icon in the upper left-hand corner of your App and click Edit to enter your child’s profile image, name, watch phone number, gender (optional), and birth date (optional).
Step 7: Save Shortcut Dial Icons & Emergency SOS Numbers
You'll want to start by creating your Parent Shortcut Dial Icons and Emergency SOS contacts. In your App, select the Contact icon in the bottom left-hand corner, and once opened, you will see 3 shortcut options:
- 2x Shortcut Dialing Icons: These icons appear directly on your child's TickTalk 4 smartwatch to allow your child to call you immediately by selecting an icon. You can choose who you want these contacts to be--it's great for two parents, a parent + guardian, or whatever fits your family best!
- Emergency SOS: If your child holds the red button on the side of their TickTalk smartwatch for 5 seconds, their watch will automatically call this number. If your Emergency SOS contact doesn't answer, your TickTalk will automatically call the first 2 contacts saved as your Parent Shortcut Dial icons. If you leave the SOS contact blank, the watch will call the first shortcut contact by default.
Step 8: Add Contacts
You can save 50 parent-approved contacts on your TickTalk aside from your Parent Shortcut Dial Icons and Emergency SOS. You have 3 types of contacts to choose from:
- Phone Book Contacts: Phone Book contacts are contacts you enter into your TickTalk App Contacts on the bottom left of your main screen. These are contacts your child can call using voice calling and can communicate with your child without downloading the TickTalk App. This is great for loved ones who may not have a cell phone, like grandparents or their school.
- Approved App Users: For any contacts who want to not only use voice calling, but also messaging and video calling, they will need to download the TickTalk App from the Apple or Google Play Store and request permission to add your child. This is because we use secure, end-to-end encryption to make sure no unknown numbers or unapproved contacts are communicating with your child. Once you've approved the contact request, you'll be prompted to set their access level. Give them Full Access to have the same access as you including location tracking, Remote Answer, editing contacts, and other privacy features (great for parents, caregivers, or other guardians) or Limited Access to only be able to use voice calls, Wi-Fi and video calls, messaging, and send Greeting Cards (best for friends, teammates, or anyone you'd like your child to be able to contact, but not necessarily see their location).
- TickTalk Friends: If you have Add Friends enabled in your TickTalk App settings, your child will be able to manually add other friends with TickTalk smartwatches within 6 feet or by manually entering another TickTalk smartwatch TTID number. Parents will receive a notification for any friends added with Add Friends.
Watch our video for more information on setting up contacts.
Watch our video for more information on approving other app users.
Step 9: Enable The Firewall
After setting up your Contacts, we recommend you turn on the Firewallimmediately. The Firewall will block any unknown numbers from calling or messaging your child. To turn on the Firewall, open your App, Settings > Control Center > Firewall and toggle on so it is green.
Your TickTalk is ready for unwrapping!
Congratulations! You've successfully setup your TickTalk 4! Don't forget to watch our other videos to fully understand all the features and functionalities of your TickTalk 4 including:
- Connecting to Wi-Fi (Recommended)
- Connecting to Bluetooth
- Setting Up A Watch Password
- Setting Up Do Not Disturb Class Times
- Saving Reminders
- Setting Daily Step Goals for Activity Tracker
- Adding Friends with Radar Scanning
- Accessing 911 Response
Have Any Questions?
Our Support Team is available to help you Monday-Friday 9AM-6PM PST here. You can also access our full Troubleshooting & FAQ sections with answers to common questions. Thank you again for choosing TickTalk!